Experience a weekend of activities ranging from the hotel’s iconic Celebration of the Arts Hawaiian cultural event to a lavish Easter Brunch.
KAPALUA, MAUI, HI – April 12, 2019 – This Easter weekend, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua is proud to be hosting its interactive Celebration of the Arts Festival for the 27th consecutive year. Taking place on-property from April 19 – 20, 2019, Hawaii’s most reputable artisans, educators, cultural practitioners, speakers and entertainers will convene to celebrate and share Hawaii’s history and culture with resort guests and locals alike. This year’s festival will center around the theme “Aloha I Na Mea Kanu…Love for all things planted” through various cultural activities including traditional ceremonies, music and dance performances, cuisine experiences, film screenings, hands-on art demonstrations, and informative speaker and cultural panels.
Throughout the weekend, festival participants will enjoy traditional Hawaiian oli (chants), music, hula, cultural ceremonies, and impromptu performances that reflect upon the spirit of aloha that the islands are known for. The “Celebration of Island Tastes,” bringing together the foods of traditional Hawaii and the contemporary cuisine of local families, and the “Celebration After-Hours,” ending the evening with music and hula dance, will culminate the weekend festivities.
A sampling of Celebration of the Arts Festival 2019 activities includes:
Friday, April 19, 2019
- Hiuwai & e ala e – A native Hawaiian cleansing & sunrise protocol, this is an annual tradition of the Celebration of the Arts. Guests are invited to join cultural practitioners for an invigorating ceremony guaranteed to rejuvenate the body and spirit. Chants are offered by all to the rising sun. *Attendees should bring swimwear and towels. Photography is not permitted
- Wehe ka ‘Ipuka (Opening the Gateway) – Emotions and spirituality run high as traditional chants of genealogy and the islands officially open the 27th Annual Celebration of the Arts. The Namahana Award of Excellence will be presented to kūpuna (elders) who have dedicated their lives to serving the culture.
- Hands-on & Contemporary & Traditional Art – Village Gallery artists, traditional cultural artists, and crafters bring the event to life. Guests are invited to cruise and/or create!
- “Celebration After-Hours” – Guests are invited enjoy the fun and talented group, Vaihi, from O’ahu the Tiki Bar in Waikiki and DJ Scotty for an evening of excitement and dancing. *For guests 21 years & over with valid ID
Saturday, April 20, 2019
- “Celebration of Island Tastes – The Feast Before the Finale” – Featuring typical Hawaiian tastes found only at family parties and tributes. Our Ritz-Carlton Chefs will serve you freshly steamed kalua pork, poi or rice, ahi poke, sweet potato straight out of the imu (underground oven), chicken with long rice and haupia to already pack your plate. Special à la carte items such as lu‘au he‘e (Octopus with coconut milk and lu‘au leaf), Opae (fresh water shrimp), Opihi (limpets…often referred to as Hawai‘i’s most dangerous catch) and UPC guava glazed smoked meat hot off the grill of” The UPC Boyz” will be available for purchase with script. Entertainment by The Kamehameha School Ensemble (Song and hula). $25 per child, $15 per child 6 – 12 years.
- “Celebration After-Hours” – The long anticipated CD release party for Maui’s own “Ahumanu!” Ahumanu’s beautiful harmonies and amazing musical skills will be one of Maui’s newest and hottest bands, Nā Wai ‘Ehā. Also, an exciting addition to the Maui music scene, Kūikawā, will be featured. All this combined with the hula stylings of Hālau Hula Nā Hanona Kūlike o Pi‘ilani, Pā‘ū O Hi‘iaka, Hālau Kamaluokaleihulu, and Kekuaokalā’au‘ala‘iliahi! Later in the evening it’s time to dance the night away with the big band sound of Maui’s own Jimmy Mac & The Kool Kats. *For guests 21 years & over with valid ID
Following this inspiring event, the hotel will offer a lavish Easter Brunch on Sunday, April 21 from 10:30am – 2:30pm in the famed Anuenue Room. Brunch will include a sushi action station and raw bar display. Included with the purchase of brunch, keiki can enjoy their very own decorating corner, a special egg hunt and photos with the Easter Bunny. Advanced reservations are recommended and can be made by calling the resort directly at 808-665-7089 or by visiting www.opentable.com.
For more information and a full event schedule on Celebration of the Arts, please visit www.celebrationofthearts.org. For more information or reservations at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, please call (800) 262-8440, the hotel directly at (808) 669-6200 or visit The Ritz-Carlton Web site at www.ritzcarlton.com/kapalua.
About The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C., of Chevy Chase, MD., part of Marriott International, Inc., currently operates more than 90 hotels and 40 residential properties in more than 30 countries and territories. The Ritz-Carlton is proud to participate in the industry’s award-winning loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® which includes The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®. Members can now link accounts with Starwood Preferred Guest® at members.marriott.com for instant elite status matching and unlimited points transfer. For more information or reservations, visit the company web site at www.ritzcarlton.com, for the latest company updates, visit news.ritzcarlton.com and to join the live conversation, use #RCMemories and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAR).
About The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The AAA Five-Diamond Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua showcases a stunning, destination resort offering 466 guestrooms, including 107 residential suites, boasting warm-hued wood floors, rich travertine bathrooms, flat-screen LCD televisions and Hawaiian-inspired artwork. The Ritz-Carlton Spa®, Kapalua beckons with treatment rooms framed by private garden showers, volcanic stone grottos, steam, sauna and whirlpool therapies, outdoor couple's hale (cabanas) and a fitness center and movement studio with spectacular ocean views. Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment program offers all interest levels an array of outdoor activities from land to sea, led by trained naturalists. The breathtaking island resort also features six dining experiences, enhanced indoor/outdoor meeting space, an inviting children's pool and luxury cabanas. The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua is nestled on 54 acres and enveloped by the 22,000 acre Kapalua Resort, renowned for two championship golf courses, award-winning restaurants and the site of an historic pineapple plantation.